Wayne Goss has such great makeup application techniques and recently gave this simple but highly useful tip: bend the mascara wand before completely pulling it out of the tube, so the wand is at an angle.
Angled mascara brushes are not a new concept, some mascara brands even have built-in angled brushes. The angle does make an impressive difference in both control of where you apply the product and importantly, how much produce is distributed, especially getting in nice and close to the lashline.
Watch Wayne’s technique in the video below.
We tried the Mascara Application hack for ourselves, and it is actually pretty amazing on getting mascara right in close at the lash line, especially on the lower lashes, the shorter “arm” to the handle makes a difference in how much control there is in the application.
STYLECHICKS ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS
Three additional suggestions to make the most of this mascara application hack:
- Use Disposable Wands: Instead of using the wand that comes with your mascara, use disposable mascara wands. They are very inexpensive at places like Amazon and Sallys Beauty Supply (under $10 for like 200 of them). The disposable wands are a cheaper plastic and often more flexible, thereby less subject to breaking off the wand head by accident. This way, you can bend your wand without fear of breaking it off and getting stuck, leaving you with no cap for your mascara.
- Try angles other than just a 70 to 90-degree angle: You can shape the brush of your disposable mascara wand into other shapes including a c-shape to reinforce the curling capability of your wand.
- FAN YOUR LASHES OUT. It is easier to manipulate the thin brush handle of a disposable wand between your fingers, so let the brush do the work to reduce smudges and fan out lashes. Rotate the thin arm between your forefinger and thumb to move the brush head so that the angle faces outward instead of inward in order to “fan out” the outer lashes, then give them one last brush forward.
- CLEAN UP: You can even follow up with a clean disposable mascara wand for combing out any clumps or to get the direction of lashes just the way you would like it. Just hold the clean wand in front of your lashes and blink through the comb to remove clumps.
SIDE BONUS: Disposable mascara wands give much better control and product distribution for very wet mascaras or mascaras with fibers such as Too Faced Better Than Sex, Benefit BADgal, DiorShow, and Urban Decay Perversion Mascaras, to name a few.
Got any good mascara application tips to share? Tell us in the comment section below!
- Wayne Goss‘ YouTube Channel
- Disposable Mascara Wands:
- Face Secrets Silicone Disposable Mascara Wands come in a variety of wand shapes for thickening, lengthening, curling, and close tip work application, $3.29 at Sally Beauty Supply
- G2PLUS 100 Disposable Mascara Wands, at Amazon