A leisurely soak in the tub or a rainy afternoon spent at a coffee house isn’t complete without a good book. On the lookout for your next literary find? Then check out Claren Books, Independent Publisher & a second-generation book company that fosters a creative community for writers.
Claren Books is not an ordinary publishing house. They are professional and detail-oriented, not cookie-cutter corporate. Friendly, but not folksy. My favorite part of this independent publishing company is that they foster a unique creative environment for authors, resulting in better books for their readers. The Claren Books creative community is open to all writers, not just their own.
As many of you are both avid readers and potential authors, we’d like to tell you about what Claren Books has to offer and give an overview of a few of their latest releases.
ABOUT CLAREN BOOKS
Claren Books publishes a select number of books a year. They are primarily fiction works, but some non-fiction as well. What can Claren Books offer you the reader? Or you the writer? Here’s a brief overview of both.
Are you interested in writing novels or novellas? Claren Books is accepting submissions and has three unique benefits for writers. The first two are:
- Loads of advice, tantamount to a candid pre-submission how-to guide, to ensure that a manuscript is indeed ready for an editor to read.
- Claren Books gives frequent practical and constructive writing tips on the Claren Books Facebook and Twitter direct from their own Editor, Sarah Doebereiner (@SarahDoeberiner). Many lone authors fail without a mentor or peers. Many women have difficulty finding a mentor in their field. But with resources like these, you, aspiring solo authors, have the inspiration and indirect guidance needed to improve your writing.
MORE ABOUT CLAREN BOOKS PRE-SUBMISSION ADVICE
Read their concise, sound advice found within the FAQ and Submission sections of the Claren Books website that is tailored to potential authors who want to submit their work to be published. Think your novel is finally ready? Well, maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. It probably isn’t.
The thing is, many enthusiastic writers are, in all likelihood, not ready to submit their work. It doesn’t always have to do with how intriguing a story they are capable of writing. Claren Books points out many of the potential pitfalls that can entrap otherwise excellent authors-to-be.
- Are there are basic formatting or technical issues within the document?
- Has someone given a true critical proofing to the manuscript, or have only loved ones read the work? Before considering an official submission, it must be read by an impartial, knowledgeable third party, and then, once again, the author must endure the painful process of implementing edits and rewrites.
- Is there a compelling cover page and synopsis?
As Claren Books points out, these are all necessary to the process. Once your work is submitted, it is too late to revise these make or break components, and an author must capture an editor’s interest quickly on that crucial first impression.
The reward for such strenuous pre-submission efforts is a good one. It is the third unique offering Claren Books has for their authors: a highly generous 50% payout on net receipts and a $1000 advance.
We respect that Claren Books, as a Publisher, freely offers these online resources to all authors in order help them to write well and they make sure their authors get paid fairly.
Claren Books is a second-generation book company and a member of the Independent Book Publisher’s Association. Publisher Bill Adler (@billadler) is an author himself and a former literary agent who’s represented numerous bestsellers.
WHAT DOES CLARENS BOOKS HAVE FOR READERS?
What about the reader? Claren Books offers fictional novels and novellas ranging from thrillers to a How-to book for telling a fairy tale to kids.
Not much of a reader these days? With all the streaming video content available, it’s easy to get out of the habit. Claren Books had the ingenious idea of “The Binge-Watching Cure“: an upcoming anthology of short stories of increasing length designed to get the reader to fall in love with reading once again.
Want to see specific examples of recent Claren Books offerings? For Read an eBook Week 2017, StyleChicks will be featuring a synopsis of several Claren Books from various genres; you’ll be sure to find your next good read!
The first Claren Books novel for our Read an eBook Week series, is Fatal Gift, part thriller, part mystery, and an ending you won’t see coming.
BE PART OF THE CLARENS BOOKS CREATIVE COMMUNITY
Find the online creative community for authors cultivated by Claren Books at:
Style Chicks received compensation for our time and effort for this post. However, our experience with the product and the opinions expressed in this review are 100% ours.