Definition Guide for skin and hair care terms. Glossary of hair and skin ingredients with meaningful results. Updated regularly.
- Illite is Green Clay. It soaks up excess oils, purifies, and balances the pH of the skin. Illite can be drying.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
- Intense Pulsed Light, commonly referred to as IPL, is a treatment from a device or machine that emits wavelengths of light. It can remove hair, acne, discoloration, wrinkles, and spider veins. Generally not considered as effective as laser treatments, but IPL devices are available for at-home use.
- Indian Gooseberry is another name for Amla fruit. It is useful for skin and hair. It is high in Vitamin C to increase collagen and fades scars. Amla is nutrient-rich and restorative. Indian Gooseberry is a non-greasy oil to help grow long, silky and shiny hair. Indian Gooseberry makes hair soft, silky, and pliable. It nourishes both hair and scalp, promotes hair growth and to prevent grey hair and stops hair fall.
- Iron is necessary for the growth and repair of cells that stimulate hair growth. A lack of iron can lead to hair loss, dullness and breakage. Many women are iron deficient.
- Iodine deficiency prevents hair follicles from regenerating. Iodine also fights infections that can occur around hair follicles, damaging hair growth. Finally, Iodine helps regulate the thyroid. When the thyroid lacks iodine, hair becomes dry and rough, prematurely gray, losses volume and can even fall out, leading to bald spots.
- Iris, Iris florentina extract
- In skincare formulations Iris is called Iris Florentina extract and orris root. Iris is used in anti-ageing products for its’ natural isoflavones to stimulate the skin and limit the breakdown of structural proteins. Research on Iris benefits is limited.
- Isoflavone a class of chemical compounds found in plants. They may have similar effects to estrogen and potent antioxidant properties.