Sunflower Oil is a carrier oil with many beauty benefits. This article explains how to use sunflower oil for hair and skin.
Sunflower oil can be used alone or combined with other oils. It is well tolerated by sensitive skin.
Why Use Sunflower Oil
Sunflower Seed Oil is hydrating, nourishing and an excellent supporting oil base. Sunflower Oil especially benefits coarse hair textures. It locks in moisture and deters hair breakage.
Sunflower Oil has many hair and skin benefits.
Sunflower Oil Skin Benefits
Sunflower Oil is an effective face and body moisturizer. But it is a semi-greasy oil which makes the application and dry-down difficult. When mixed into a lotion or cream, sunflower oil can be exceptionally useful on body skin.
Sunflower Oil is non-comedogenic and can moisturize acne-prone areas. It soothes eczema, scarring, redness, and irritation.
- Sunflower Oil retains moisture in the skin and is also rich in vitamin E.
- Functions as a lipid buffer against drying ingredients or topical medicines 
- Sunflower Oil softens skin irritated by drying topicals. It works well with Retinol because it hydrates and calms red, irritated skin.
- Linoleic acid Gives sunflower seed oil anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is a natural treatment for atopic dermatitis. 
- The Vitamin E in Sunflower oil lightens skin discoloration.
- It is gentle enough to use as an eye makeup remover. Apply oil directly to face and allow 30 seconds to dissolve makeup, massage gently if desired. Wash face as normal. To remove eye makeup, hold a sunflower seed soaked cotton ball over your closed lid for about 20 seconds. It dissolves mascara without rubbing or pulling on lashes.
Sunflower Oil Hair Benefits
Sunflower Oil is an excellent unscented oil for hair hydration and softening. It works as a base for scalp treatment essential oils such as Tea Tree, Rosemary, and Peppermint. It softens hair when combined with rosemary and lavender oils.
- Vitamin E promotes scalp health.
- It blends well with other oils. A blend of Sunflower Oil and Coconut Oil moisturizes and strengthens hair, and is not as greasy.
- Ideal for coarse hair because it helps hair retain moisture. It is a light non-polar solvent that prevents water loss. It penetrates the hair shaft to lock and retain moisture.
- It is less greasy than olive oil and won’t cause breakouts.
- It contains Omega 9, an essential acid needed to stop breakage and stimulate hair growth.
Sunflower Oil benefits all hair types, especially hair needing extra moisture. This includes coarse hair, curly hair, and damaged hair.
General Beauty Benefits of Sunflower Oil
Sunflower Oil has a highly nutritious composition. It is one of the healthiest oils skin and hair application. The main component of sunflower oil is linoleic acid. Its other components include oleic acid and palmitic acid, lecithin, carotenoids, tocopherols, and numerous vitamins. These nourish skin and hair.
While Sunflower Oil is an effective moisturizer, it is also a carrier oil. It enables the other active moisturizing ingredients to sink deeper into the skin. Combine sunflower oil with jojoba, grapeseed oil, almond oil, or essential oils for extra benefits.
Interesting in learning more about Sunflower Oil for reversing hair loss? Check out this article: 3 Proven Ways To Use Sunflower Oil For Hair Loss: 28 Days Later.
Loden M, Andersson AC. Effect of topically applied lipids on surfactant-irritated skin. Br J Dermatol. 1996;134(2):215-20.
Lopez Perez G, Torres Altamirano M. Indications for sunflower oil concentrate in the treatment of atopic dermatitis. Rev Alerg Mex. 2006;53(6):217-25.