We’ve all experienced it. Using a hair product that we love the results but hate the scent. Some with allergies or sensitivities can’t tolerate any scent. But styling hair without SOME product is nearly impossible. We investigated unscented, fragrance-free haircare options that deliver.
Finding unscented hair products should be a no brainer, but it isn’t.
Most hair products are scented. Some overtly so, like the Chanel No. 5 effect, but with hairspray. Yet there are plenty of reasons to go fragrance-free.
- Maybe you or a SO have allergies or scent sensitivities.
- Your office might ban any form of fragrance.
- Maybe scent is fine for most occasions, but you don’t want cotton candy or brown sugar vanilla scented hair on a job interview.
- Perhaps you don’t want hair products that clash with your signature perfume.
Here are a few of our haircare favorites that deliver good hair day results without an olfactory wallop.
Why It Is So Hard to Find Unscented Hair Care
The fragrance is part of the lush hair spa experience appeal for many users. Some companies use a signature scent on all their hair care for branding purposes or to encourage using the entire line together.
Unscented isn’t only the absence of fragrance additives. Some hair helpful ingredients and preservatives have an unpleasant natural odor that needs masking.
When we want to smell NOTHING on our hair, here is our go-to list:
- Allurials Fragrance-Free Hair Conditioner is organic and scent-free. It is intended for post shampoo, instant conditioner use.Excellent on colored hair. It contains Silk Peptides, Pea Peptides, Argan, Jojoba, Flaxseed, Kernel, Linseed, Avocado and Coconut oils plus Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice. We like to use it as a DIY hair masque alone or by mixing in grapeseed or olive oil
- Philip Kingsley No Scent No Colour Shampoo and Conditioner. Kingsley designed this duo for his own wife while she endured chemo. It isn’t just unscented, it really smells of nothing. No harsh or nasty ingredients in this one. Save for sensitive scalps and colored hair. Plus it contains elastin to give hair a springy bounce and shine.
Clinique Non-Aerosol Hair spray. The original patron saint brand of the fragrance-free sensitive crowd, Clinique developed a non-aerosol pump spray that smells like …. nothing. Very light hold. Apply it in short bursts. Office-friendly.
- No Nothing has an impressive suite of unscented hair care for the very VERY sensitive. A boutique priced product range that delivers haircare without the typical olfactory nasties. The No Nothing range includes shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hairspray, and notably a hot tool styling heat protectant. They have products for damaged hair and very sensitive. A full line meeting modern and trendy hairstyle needs. Some good vegan choices.
Stay tuned for the next installment of Style Chicks Unscented Picks: fragrance-free face lotions and creams.
Know a hair care product that should be on this list?
Have any questions about these fragrance-free hair care products? The Style Chicks are here to answer them.
Leave a comment or email us at email@example.com