Skin & Hair Glossary of Ingredients & Terms. Defining what skin & hair ingredients are & how to best use them. Updated regularly.
- Rapeseed Oil
- Rapeseed Oil comes from a yellow flower cultivated mainly for its’ oil-rich seed.
It is an anti-oxidant that preserves skin moisture. it makes skin smooth and elastic. It also cleanses pores and gives skin a natural glow. Its’ anti-inflammatory properties heal skin and reduce redness.
- Red Algae
- Red Algae enhances the skin’s barrier function, replenishes moisture, and increases its moisture-retention capabilities.
- Red Rose Wine
- Red Rose Wine thickens skin, especially useful around the eyes and mouth. Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reishi Extract is also called Ganoderma, Asian Mushroom Extract or lingzhi. This kidney-shaped mushroom has been used for centuries in traditional medicinal practice and is known as “mushroom of immortality”. It is used in some topical anti-aging products for both skin and hair. It contains polysaccharides. These are responsible for the skin’s natural ability to hydrate and retain water. It also promotes cell regeneration while reducing skin inflammation, puffiness, and wrinkles.
- Renovage slows down the premature aging of cells. It operates on a deeper level of skin issues. Renovage fixes deep skin layer problems that surface serums and creams can’t reach. These issues include lightening over-pigmentation, reducing redness and improving skin firmness.
- Retinol is a vitamin A derivative found in many skincare creams. It is commonly applied at night and refines the skin’s texture by causing rapid cell turnover. Softens wrinkles and reduces acne. An over-the-counter version of Retinoid.
- A prescription brand name Retinoid, generally with a stronger percentage than available over the counter.
- Topical retinoids are the strongest topical ingredients in a dermatologist’s arsenal for slowing signs of aging. Everyone in his or her thirties or beyond should get in the habit of incorporating a topical retinoid cream in their evening routine.
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Retinyl Palmitate is an antioxidant found naturally in our skin. Retinyl Palmitate is a natural form of Vitamin A that helps with wrinkles and fine lines. It also boosts collagen production to make skin look younger and plumper. It promotes cell regeneration.
- Rooibos is an anti-inflammatory for the skin. It is applied as a topical ingredient and consumed as a fruity tea.
- Rose Absolute
- Rose Absolute rejuvenates and firms skin.
- Rose powder adds fragrance as well as softens hair.
- Rosa Rugosa
- Rosa Rugosa flower extract is rich in vitamin C, sucrose, citric acid, malic acid, and carotene. It promotes collagen production and reduces enlarged pores. It also makes the skin exceptionally smooth while removing excess inflammation.
- A skin condition that causes redness and puffiness on the face, including cheeks and nose. Rosacea requires gentle measures in cleansing and product use.
Rosehip Seed Oil
- Rosehip Seed Oil is high in Vitamins A, C, and E. They provide nutrients, fade acne scars and promote cell turnover. Rose Hip Seed Oil is a Vitamin C variant that is both a treatment and a hydrating ingredient. It offers the benefits of Vitamin C and Retinol serums such as lightening dark spots but without causing irritation. Rosehip oil also has omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids to soothe and moisturize eczema or dry skin.  There is generally a strong scent.
- Rosemary Extract, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS EXTRACT
- Rosemary Extract combats dry skin. It naturally protects skin from sun damage and free radicals. It also has natural antiseptic properties and is a gentle exfoliant for dead skin flakes. Rosemary Extract is soothing and helps reduce puffiness and lightens dark spots. It is stimulating and promotes better blood circulation to deliver the nutrients necessary to build collagen, elastin and to encourage scar repair.
- Rosemary Oil
- Rosemary Oil combats dry skin including dandruff. It naturally protects skin from sun damage and free radicals. It also has natural antiseptic properties. Research shows massaging the scalp for six months with Rosemary and Jojoba Oil is as effective as Minoxidil at regrowing hair.
- Grajzer, Magdalena, et al. “Characteristics of rose hip (Rosa canina L.) cold-pressed oil and its oxidative stability studied by the differential scanning calorimetry method.” Food chemistry 188 (2015): 459-466.