Sleepless nights are a big beauty problem. If you can’t get enough sleep, skin quickly looks lackluster and dull. The eyes are bloodshot with dark undereye circles. It’s bad enough to be sluggish, cranky, drowsy and in a mental fog, but sleep deprivation can have serious risks. Despite health (and beauty) risks, many are reluctant to resort to prescription sleep aids, and with good reason. But Avinol PM has come up with an effective sleep aid containing natural, safe ingredients that you likely regularly ingest in food and drink. When these ingredients are combined, they make for an effective sleep-enabling cocktail.
We’ve all been there: work, stress, sickness, or for some other reason, we just can’t get to sleep. We wake up sluggish the next day, and you’d think you could easily get to sleep the next night, but somehow, the bad sleep pattern continues. Many of us reach for common remedies, such as a glass of warm milk or tea, but when these don’t work, we may seek an over the counter remedy, and for many of us, that remedy is preferably a natural one, or at least a non-addictive one.
But just because something is natural doesn’t automatically mean it is safe. Many of the ingredients in Avinol PM and Avinol Extra Strength are probably familiar and consumed in other foods you regularly eat. You may notice these foods relax you or even make you a bit sleepy. When combined together, even in small dosages, they enable much better sleep.
AVINOL PM INGREDIENTS
These ingredients are:
- 5-HTP is an amino acid from tryptophan, the stuff in turkey that makes you sleepy. I was fuzzy on what exactly 5-HTP was, but it turns out tryptophan is in plenty of foods including cheddar and swiss cheese, fish, lean meats, poultry, peanuts and peanut butter, soy products, turnips, collard greens, sunflower seeds, and roast pork. The body synthesizes tryptophan to 5-HTP and triggers the body’s melatonin production.
If someone isn’t sleeping, generally this tryptophan amino acid is in short supply, making one’s “internal clock” feel off, leading to feeling sleepy in the day, wide awake and wired at night. Have you experienced that? If so, 5-HTP can help.
In layperson terms, the end result is 5-HTP does two things: first, it signals the body to stop working and being wide awake like it is daytime and tells it to prepare to go to sleep soon. Second, it cues the Melatonin.
- Melatonin is a brain produced, naturally occurring substance in the body that cues the feeling of being sleepy. Melatonin is available at natural health food stores, but it is difficult to regulate when taken alone, and without 5-HTP telling your body it is time to sleep, it may be useless. But when paired with the right ingredients, it can effectively emulate the body’s own sleep triggers. If your body hasn’t had enough 5-HTP, it doesn’t have enough Melatonin, which is why it is helpful taken together.
5-HTP and Melatonin together address most sleep problems by triggering the body’s natural sleep mechanisms and telling the body it is time to sleep. Other sleep aid ingredients found in Avinol PM are more effective when the body is not actively resisting sleep or doesn’t feel sleepy. These ingredients include:
- Chamomile has long been known to be a relaxing herbal remedy, most commonly consumed as a cup of tea to promote relaxation and restful sleep.
- Hops are a flower that is the flavoring and stability agent in beer. They impart the beers bitter, zesty, or citric flavors. Hops have been used as a sleep aid due to their somewhat sedative effect. The sedative effect of hops can be seen from the relaxing sensation experienced when drinking a non-alcoholic beer. For the naysayers on the merits of hops alone, not the beer’s alcohol content creating relaxation, there are studies (see The sedative effects of hops (Humulus lupulus), a component of beer, on the activity/rest rhythm by L. Franco). The important takeaway is that hops alone aid in relaxation and sleep without the hangover from alcohol.
- Lemon Balm is a flowering herb added into beauty preparations, drinks, teas, candies, ice cream and even desserts. It is a common flavoring in fish dishes and lemon balm pesto. It has a has a minty taste and lemony smell. Used in aromatherapy, it has a long history in alternative medicine as a sleep aid.
- Passion Flower Powder contains Chrysin. Chrysin is a flavonoid found in honeycombs, some mushrooms, and in chamomile. Passion Flower tea is used in folk medicine as a sleep-aid tea, taken just before going to bed.
- L-Theanine is part of what makes matcha tea a superior cup of green, there is much more L-Theanine in matcha. Also found in green and black teas, and some mushrooms, it behaves chemically very much like lemon balm extract to reduce stress, and promote a mindful state of relaxation. It’s like a relaxing cup of Matcha without the stimulating caffeine properties of matcha before bed.
- Orange Peel, or the zest, is used in numerous foods and drinks for an intense citrusy flavor. If a food, candy or dessert has a notable citrus flavor or a natural orange glazing, it probably contains orange peel zest. Some examples include Orange Chicken, Cranberry Orange Scones, and citrus-based mandarin salad dressings. The peel contains enzymes and flavonoids that promote sleep.
WHAT AVINOL PM DOESN’T CONTAIN
Herbs can be as powerful as chemical medications. I prefer that Avinol PM’s 5-HTP is NOT combined with some of the natural remedies seen in some commercial 5-HTP preparations such as Valerian root and St. John’s wort. While these both can be useful for various neuro problems and have helped many people, they are highly potent and, are in my opinion, overreaching for someone who just needs to restore sleep patterns. Many of these 5-HTP’s combos that contain other potent herbs like St. John’s Wort are often geared toward someone who has problems with serotonin under-production, not sleep promotion.
I like that Avinol PM ONLY contains what is necessary to get restful sleep if your sleep issues are relatively straightforward, and that there is a separate, stronger formulation of Avinol PM called Avinol PM Extra Strength for more complex sleep issues when more potent herbs are warranted.
AVINOL PM EXTRA STRENGTH
Avinol PM Extra Strength contains all the ingredients of Avinol PM, plus Valerian Root and GABA.
Valerian Root has been used for centuries for relaxation, sleep, and blood pressure regulation. How it works is unclear, but it likely encourages the brain to release GABA and relax, similar to the principle Avinol applies to Melatonin. Valerian Root is considered somewhat comparable to Valium in how it works.
How do you know which one to take? If you already have discussed your sleep issues with your doctor and you know you benefit from Valerian Root due to diagnosed medical problems, Avinol PM Extra Strength is a viable and safer option to consider before resorting to heavily sedating, prescription sleep medicines.
That Avinol has two formulas to distinguish between the simple need to break a bad sleep pattern from the more serious and complicated diagnosed Sleep Dysfunction secondary to a more serious medical issue where prescription sleep aids are often the norm, is a big selling point to me. It makes me more comfortable that what I do take best meets my sleep needs.
PUTTING AVINOL PM TO THE TEST: HOW DID I SLEEP?
Having researched and felt assured that the ingredients were safe for me personally and no ingredient was addictive, I was ready to give Avinol PM a try.
Avinol PM is a single sub-lingual tablet that melts under your tongue just before going to bed. It’s bigger than a dime but smaller than a quarter.
I didn’t experience the side effects that can come with prescription sleep medications, such as grogginess in the morning or excess difficulty waking up and I drifted off to sleep naturally, not feeling like I was knocked out.
My sleep felt more natural, which is different than a chemically induced sleep. I don’t like the idea of being SO deeply asleep that I could not be easily awoken by my alarm clock or a noise in the house, which was not the kind of sleep that Avinol PM induces. Avinol PM is restful and more normal feeling.
I also experienced a more consistent result with Ativol PM than when I have attempted remedies such as melatonin pills alone or drinking a cup of relaxing tea or warm milk before bed. I like the idea of a pre-measured, regulated amount in pill form that ensures helpful levels for steady sleep each night until I restore a sleep pattern back to normal. And I really like the lack of side effects or addictive ingredients.
All of us experience bouts of sleepless nights or various reasons. Once a bad sleep pattern starts, it is hard to catch up and reset the brain back to normal sleep rhythms. For whatever reason one does not wish to take a prescription sleep aid, Avinol PM can help restore restful sleep patterns using natural ingredients that are safe, familiar and non-addictive. Rest well, Sleeping Beauties!
WHERE TO BUY AVINOL PM
Find Avinol PM at http://www.avinol.com
Find Avinol PM Extra Strength at https://www.vitaldepot.com/products/avinol-pm-extra-strength
BARGAIN-HUNTER TIP: Deals on Avinol PM can also be found on Amazon, and at times at Groupon
Style Chicks received Avinol PM and Avinol PM Extra Strength in exchange for our unbiased review and received compensation for our time and effort. However, our experience with the product and the opinions expressed in this review are 100% ours.