Skin & Hair Glossary of ingredients & terms. Defining what skin & hair ingredients are and how to best use them. Updated regularly.
- Wakame is a seaweed used in skin products.
- Walnut Oil promotes scalp health, dandruff, highlighting blondes, adds shine. It soothes skin infections, eczema, and psoriasis. Contains Omega-3s to prevent cell damage. Potassium helps regenerate hair and skin cells.
- Water on an ingredient list refers to purified water used as a solvent to help active ingredients absorb. Concentrated ingredients intended to be used as an additive typically contain less water.
Watermelon Seed Oil
- Watermelon Seed Oil is an outstanding antioxidant and highly nutritive oil. It is high in unsaturated fatty acids, such as by linoleic and oleic acids. It has antioxidant activity and the vitamin E compounds that protect the skin from oxidative stress and photo-aging. Vitamin E gives Watermelon Seed Oil anti-inflammatory properties, which soothes irritated skin. It also contains essential proteins, vitamins, and minerals to enrich lip skin. It absorbs quickly.
- Wheat Protein
- Wheat Protein strengthens hair and adds moisture.
- White Tea
- White tea is gentle yet powerful. It has similar benefits to Green Tea with phenols and EGCG. As a topical ingredient, it helps even the skin tone. It is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It can reduce redness and inflammation around the delicate eye area, even if caused by light eczema. White tea also contains EGCG, which enables the production of new cells in the epidermis . It also contains phenols which strengthen collagen and uniquely, elastin. This gives skin a bouncy, younger look while delaying wrinkles.
- White Willow
- White Willow unclogs pores, reduces redness and regulates sebum production.
- Willow Herb Plant Extract
- A plant extract that is an excellent antioxidant for soothing skin conditions including eczema.
- Wine Bath
- Wine Bath. Part of a spa treatment for nourishment and restoration of the skin barrier, of French origin. See Vinotherapy.
- Witch Hazel is derived from witch hazel shrub bark. It is a natural plant-derived astringent that tones and cleanses. It calms irritation. It tightens pores and removes impurities.
- Journal of Pharmacol Exp Ther 2003 306: 29-34
- Phytotherapy Research, July 2018, pages 1,220-1,240