Skin & Hair Glossary of ingredients & terms. Defining what skin & hair ingredients are and how to best use them. Updated regularly.
Wa – Wh Wh – Wi
- Wakame is a Japanese seaweed used in skin and some hair products. This highly nutritious seaweed is found in Miso soup.
- Topically, it reduces wrinkles and hydrates skin. Rich in minerals and vitamins, it maintains skin firmness and elasticity.
- It is beneficial for hair to provide strength and softness.
- Walnut Oil promotes scalp health, dandruff, highlighting blondes, adds shine.
- It soothes skin infections, eczema, and psoriasis. Walnut oil contains Omega-3s to prevent cell damage. It also is rich in Potassium which helps regenerate hair and skin cells. Walnut Oil is an intensive conditioner for hair, restoring a lustrous shine and softness.
- Water on an ingredient list refers to purified water used as a solvent to help active ingredients absorb. Concentrated ingredients intended to be used as an additive typically contain less water.
Waterless Beauty makes an effort to use less water in the manufacturing of beauty products and contains less water within the products.
- A groundbreaking skincare study showed Watercress uniquely promotes Collagen III in the dermal cells of the papillary dermis skin layer.  This makes skin smoother, resilient, youthful, and elastic.
- Watercress is also an antioxidant full Vitamins A, C, E, K, and notably, Copper.  Copper has an amazing ability to restore elastin in the skin. Elastin gives skin its youthful bounce and the ability to spring back.
- The Vitamin K in Watercress can reduce brown and blue-tinged under eye dark circles caused by leaking capillaries. Watercress also contains Vitamins A and C to fight free radicals.
Watermelon Seed Oil
- Watermelon Seed Oil is an outstanding antioxidant and highly nutritive oil. t is a moisturizing “dry oil” that absorbs quickly and is high in Linoleic acid to restore imbalanced skin.
- It is high in unsaturated fatty acids, such as by linoleic and oleic acids.
- It has antioxidant activity and the vitamin E compounds that protect the skin from oxidative stress and photo-aging.
- Vitamin E gives Watermelon Seed Oil anti-inflammatory properties, which soothes irritated skin.
- It also contains essential proteins, vitamins, and minerals to enrich skin. I
- “Shiseido Succeeds in Visualization of Internal Skin Elasticity Decrease of Type III Collagen Involved in Age-Dependent Degradation in Skin Elasticity.” Shiseido, Shiseido, Apr. 2018, corp.shiseido.com/en/newsimg/2423_c3b40_en.pdf.
- Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, July 2001, pages 392â€“399