Happy National Lipstick Day! Today we celebrate the expanding range of clean beauty lipsticks. Gone are the days that clean meant waxy formulations and weird shades. Now clean beauty includes pretty packaging, flattering shades and skin friendly ingredients. We look at 4 clean lippies seen on Style Chicks.
Why Clean Lipstick
Many lipsticks contain chemicals you would not voluntarily ingest. But for years, most clean or natural lipsticks had hard, waxy textures and limited color selection. They generally were only found in natural health stores, and most of us felt much was to be desired.
Here are beauty brands who upgraded the clean beauty lipstick experience.
VIOLA ROUGE lipsticks come in 24 shades of satin or shimmer finish. We got to try two of them, Status Symbol and Blueberry Flower, as seen here:
The texture is silky, weightless, and glides on evenly and with precision. It contains Saffron flower extract to diminish hyperpigmentation and protect against UV radiation.
It also has Organic Blueberry Oil to minimize fine lines, and Black Cumin Seed Oil to lock in moisture.
This non-GMO formula is made without:
- mineral oil
- silicone D5
Read our full Viola Rouge lipstick review and ingredient analysis coverage here
The Madame Gabriela range has three shades held in sleek packaging and magnetic push button base. The ingredient list is exceptional for what it does – and does NOT contain.
It is an ingredient-driven lipstick that has a luxury lipstick look, texture and feel. Packed with hydrating Bamboo extract and Manuka honey, plus Sesame Seed, Avocado, Jojoba, Castor, Sunflower Oils, along with Shea and Cocoa butters, there are no fillers or chemicals. Even the vanilla scent is natural vanilla!
Read our full Madame Gabriela review with ingredient analysis here
This clean beauty lipstick contains notable skin treating ingredients such as:
- Abyssinian Seed Oil is high in linoleic acid which forms the lipid barrier to hold moisture in skin cells. This keeps lips hydrated.
- Watermelon Seed Oil is rich in the unsaturated fatty acids linoleic and oleic acids. It has antioxidant activity and the vitamin E compounds protect the skin from oxidative stress and photo-aging. It also contains essential vitamins, and minerals to enrich lip skin. It absorbs quickly. 
- Mango Fruit Extract is high in copper, which is fantastic for delicate lip skin! Copper builds Collagen, Elastin and increases Hyaluronic Acid production which keeps lip skin plump and springy.
Read our full Caley Cosmetics Wave Lipstick review and ingredient analysis here
Pinch Of Colour
Pinch of Colour Matte Velvet Waterless Lip Colour has long-lasting coverage and a rich dimension to it’s a glam finish. Plus it is packed with lip-loving hydrating ingredients such as Jojoba, Mango Seed, and Rosehip oils.
You will note water is missing from the Pinch of Colour ingredient lists.
The colors range from muted to bright. They are quite vibrant and pigment intense, and the macadamia oil makes them especially nourishing and creamy.
Read our full Matte Velvet Waterless Lip Colour review
Summary of Clean Beauty Lipsticks
There are more options than ever for those desiring lipsticks free of chemicals.
Interested in using fewer chemicals in your skincare routine? Then you may enjoy:
- Our DEFINING BEAUTY Glossary of Ingredients to know what exactly is in your products
- Our DISCONTINUED CLINIQUE PRODUCTS GUIDE
- Skincare Industry Expert EndyMed Answers Questions About NEWA At-Home Skin-Tightening
- Tarek A. El-Adawy and Khaled M. Taha (2001). “Characteristics and Composition of Watermelon, Pumpkin, and Paprika Seed Oils and Flours”. J. Agric. Food Chem. 49 (3): 1253-1259. doi:10.10217
- Pickart L, Vasquez-Soltero JM, Margolina A. GHK Peptide as a Natural Modulator of Multiple Cellular Pathways in Skin Regeneration. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:648108. doi:10.1155/2015/648108