Like an Instagram Filter for real life, Hyaluronic Acid plumps wrinkles & pores with intense hydration, making skin appear instantly youthful & dewy.
Hyaluronic Acid is by far one of our favorite skincare ingredients; we always look for it in serums and moisturizers because it makes skin look fantastic as it plumps out wrinkles and crinkles and makes skin glow. But Hyaluronic Acid won “beauty secret weapon” status in our StyleChicks Favorite Skincare Ingredients Series because it helps any anti-aging active ingredient work more efficiently. Learn about the short term and long term benefits of Hyaluronic Acid.
WHAT HYALURONIC ACID DOES
Hyaluronic Acid gets “beauty secret weapon” status due to its’ ability to hold enormous amounts of moisture; it can draw moisture from the air, sucking it into the skin. This moisture drawing ability has a dual benefit. Not only does it make skin as plump and dewy as possible, creating an environment where the skin contains as much hydration as it can hold, but it uses this water drawing ability to pull active ingredients deeper into the skin.
BENEFITS OF HOLDING MOISTURE
- Wrinkles, fine lines, and pores temporarily “plump out” from all the moisture until they are barely visible, yet it does not make the skin seem puffy or bloated. Hyaluronic Acid works wonders on crows feet, eleven lines, wrinkles on and around the mouth, forehead lines, and smile lines.
- Hyaluronic Acid causes an optical blur effect, smoothing tiny imperfections in skin including on the throat, chest, and decolletage
IT SERVES AS AN ACTIVE INGREDIENT BOOSTER
Many active ingredients that are amazing for the skin such as MSM, Vitamin C, Retinol, Peptides, B3, and Buckthorn Oil all do their best work in the deeper layers of the skin. But their molecules are typically too large to absorb deeply. Hyaluronic Acid is like a friend with VIP access; it uses its’ moisture pulling ability to draw these active ingredients into deeper skin layers. The deeper active ingredients can work, the better the collagen production.
This means deep discoloration, sun damage, and acne scars are all fade for a much clearer look to the skin. And when collagen production happens at a deeper level, it better supports for skin, resulting in less sagging.
WHAT IS HYALURONIC ACID?
Hyaluronic Acid occurs naturally in the skin, but it depletes as we age, and the body does not make more. Topical Hyaluronic Acid application in the form of a cream, gel or serum replaces levels in the skin, giving a youthful glow.
HYALURONIC ACID USE TIPS
- It is imperative to use a moisturizer over your Hyaluronic Acid, as it draws as much moisture as possible into the skin. If Hyaluronic Acid can’t get enough moisture, the surface of the skin can appear DRY, because the Hyaluronic is still “thirsty.” I like to apply Hyaluronic Acid over damp skin; sometimes I mix a Hyaluronic cream or serum with some water before applying it to my face and eye area.
- A small amount of serum or cream will cover your face. Apply more if needed, focusing on wrinkles, pores on the cheeks, and the wrinkles on the forehead and throat.
- Apply Hyaluronic Acid over a Vitamin C serum or Peptide Serum to maximize your results
- Do you use an at-home device such Handheld Light Therapy or the NuFace? Instead of the conductive cream, apply your intensive treatment serum first then apply a Hyaluronic Acid cream over that and Aloe Vera on top for better results. The Hyaluronic Acid drives the serum in deeper.
- If you live in an area with higher environmental pollution, consider only using Hyaluronic Acid at night so that it does not pull the pollutants into your skin from the air.
Some Hyaluronic Acid creams and serums we like:
- Aurora Cure Ultimate 100% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum: Professional Strength: a clear serum, not sticky, very potent, as it is 100% Hyaluronic, no fillers. I like to apply this during the daytime after I wash my face and it is still moist, I lightly apply the Hyaluronic, then pat on two light coats of moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different for example) and spritz my face with water in between layers to lock in hydration. Also very useful paired with a Vitamin C serum, but make sure to add a moisturizer on top!
- SERUM CEUTICALS ALBUMIN & HYALURONIC ACID SERUM This is not a straight Hyaluronic, but the Albumin and Hyaluronic pairing together work wonders at reviving tired, older looking skin, and this has no chemicals or preservatives. Cool feature: this can be used ON EYELIDS (!!) without causing irritation.
- Hyaluronic Acid Beauty Cream from Puritan’s Pride: They could charge a fortune for this cream, but instead, they sell a tub of 4 ounces for under $10, and it is frequently on the Puritan’s Pride Buy 2 Get 3 Free Sale, making it an absolute steal. It is amazing when applied to the throat, the face, jowls, on the shoulders, hands, and decolletage, use sparingly around the eyes. When it is applied, enlarged pores disappear, forehead wrinkles appear practically non-existent.
Know a Hyaluronic Acid that should be on this list? Contact us or tell us about it in the comment section below!