I wondered about Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, how could I not, it’s everywhere, even my Mom said I should try it. But every mascara makes claims, and every mascara had its’ die-hard fans. Many “BIG LASH” mascaras seem like shellac-like lash-clumpers that turn into fallout and flakes. I want full but defined lashes from a mascara that stays put. I’ll shell out the big bucks if it works, but that’s a big IF. Here are our thoughts on Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara and how to get the most out of it.
MY FANTASY MASCARA THEORY
TOO FACED’S CULT-FOLLOWING
There were the devotees who said this was the best…but I didn’t believe it until became mascara desperate and saw a 2-pack at Ulta that had a full size with a free waterproof mini. It is also $12 for the mini, which is not so little considering the full size is absolutely huge. With Ulta’s amazing return policy, what do you have to lose?
PUTTING TOO FACED BETTER THAN SEX MASCARA TO THE TEST
I found the regular and the waterproof to be very similar, albeit the waterproof seems a little drier, not in a dried out way, just a slightly less wet formula.
THE WAND: I do like the wand brush that comes with this mascara, and it works well if you do only one coat for the day.
BUT, I prefer to do three VERY thin coats throughout the day, and this way, I get NO clumps and virtually no fallout. I apply first in the morning at home during my typical makeup routine, then a coat before lunch to refresh the curl and add some intensity. Then a fuller, more dramatic lash for dinner and after-hours plans. That sounds like a lot of mascara, but hear me out, it looks natural if applied carefully.
HOW I APPLY TOO FACED BETTER THAN SEX MASCARA
Each coat I do VERY lightly by dipping a disposable mascara wand into the tube just once per eye for both upper and lower lashes. Then I comb through with a dry disposable mascara wand or my trusty MAC or Paula Dorf Mascara Fan Brush.
A fan brush eliminates any clumps and gives lashes a wispy look. I bring extra disposable wands with me for use during the day, and my trusty mascara fan brush, and a few cotton swabs just in case.
- FIRST COAT: Thin first coat, lashes feel soft, it is difficult to hold a curl, but it is fine for the morning in the office, gives the effect of tight-lining the upper lashes
- SECOND COAT: midday quick one-stroke coat to refresh for lunch plans.
- THIRD COAT: A final third coat before dinner plans gives GIANT bombshell eyes. GIANT. For best curl hold all evening, I do a final thin coat of the Waterproof mascara after allowing the final coat to dry, give a quick curl, and the Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara nicely sets the curl.
USING DISPOSABLE WANDS
I Forgo eyeliner other than tight lining or upper rim only for when I really want to bring it. Full-on liner is just too much, like crazy eye kind of big eye. If using eyeliner, do so very gingerly, perhaps something with a soft metallic such as a copper or taupe, or a smudge of shadow for some definition.
- No flaking. I mean none
- Dark black that makes eyes look huge
- Nice lush looking lashline
- Removing the mascara at the end of the day. I use safflower oil-soaked cotton pads, let them sit on my closed eyes for about 30 seconds to melt it all, then wash my face. Not dramatically worse than other mascaras, and there is no tugging involved if a proper oil remover is used.
WHERE TO BUY IT
Find Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara at TooFaced.com, Ulta, Macy’s, and Sephora