Salicylic Acid is effective for teenage , cystic, and adult acne. It is preferred for mature skin because it does not excessively dry skin that’s already showing signs of aging. BONUS: Salicylic builds collagen.
INGREDIENT PROFILE: Salicylic Acid
Salicylic Acid is aÂ bHAÂ (beta hydroxy acid). BHAs work from the bottom of a pore up. Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHAs) work from the top layer of the skin down.
Pairing a bHA such as Salicylic Acid with an aHA like Mandelic Acid is clinically proven to be highly successful in acne treatment. (1) Salicylic Acid is also proven effective as a chemical peel agent for various skin issues. (2)
What SALICYLIC ACID does
Salicylic Acid purges clogged pores without excess drying the skin surface. Salicylic Acid does not cause the dryness or Benzoyl Peroxide or Retinol, but overtreatment can lead to irritation.
Salicylic Acid also helps build collagen to heal acne scars and improve skincare texture. Collagen production is a nice perk of acne treatment.
Salicylic acid works better when paired with another peeling agent. A combination of salicylic and mandelic acids was shown to be especially effective on moderate acne. (3).
Favorite Products Using Salicylic Acid
- Peter Thomas Roth Acne Clear Invisible Dots are tiny clear bandaid like dots embedded with Salicylic acid
- Neutralyze Exfoliating Pads combine Salicylic with Mandelic and Nitric Oxide to clean pores fast.
- Clinique Acne Solutionsâ„¢ Clinical Clearing Gel is highlyÂ effective on adult cystic acne when used as a pre-emptive Â or spot treatment.
- The Exposed Skincare line uses salicylic in two ways within their product range.Â Great for adult cystic acne.
- The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution is a gentle but effective pre-emptive acne treatment
Know a salicylic acid product that should be on this list? Tell us!
Have any questions about Salicylic Acid?
The Style Chicks are here to answer them.
Leave aÂ commentÂ or email us at
- Garg VK, Sinha S, Sarkar R. Glycolic acid peels versus salicylic-mandelic acid peels in active acne vulgaris and post-acne scarring and hyperpigmentation: A comparative study. Dermatol Surg 2009;35:59-65.
- Kessler E, Flanagan K, Chia C, Rogers C, Glaser DA. Comparison of alpha- and beta-hydroxy acid chemical peels in the treatment of mild to moderately severe facial acne vulgaris.Â Dermatol SurgÂ 2008;34:45-50.
- Bari AU,Â Tolerance and safety of superficial chemical peeling with salicylic acid in various facial dermatoses.Â Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol.Â 2005 Mar-Apr;71(2):87-90.