Definition Guide of skin and hair care terms. We define skin and hair care ingredients with meaningful results. Updated regularly.
- D3 (Vitamin)
- A D3 deficiency can lead to headaches, hair loss, dull skin, and poor sleep. A common deficiency for those who are diligent with sun protection products, but one that is easy to fix with supplements.
- Dermabrasion is a surgical or in-office procedure where the skin is sanded down to remove the top layer. This reduces the appearance of scars or pox. Less powerful dermabrasion devices are available for at-home use.
- Dermaplaning uses a surgical scalpel to gently scrape off the top layer of dead skin cells to reveal smoother and brighter skin. It also removes peach fuzz. The benefit is improved skin texture, better product absorption, and younger skin appearance. Performed by dermatologists and with select at-home devices.
- Dermatologically Tested
- Tested on the skin by a dermatologist. This term usage varies by company or brand. The term does not automatically imply that the product results are “Dermatologist Approved” or “Dermatologist Recommended”.
- Diatomaceous Earth
- Diatomaceous Earth is a safe, natural, mild abrasive found in some natural toothpaste.
- DHT (dihydrotestosterone)
- DHT is a hormone which causes hair follicle shrinkage. If left unaddressed, it deters new hair growth until the follicle doesn’t grow hair at all. DHT accumulates at the base of the hair follicle when hair is not washed daily. It also accumulates under dandruff and dry flakes. Topical products and vitamins can remove or reduce DHT production and accumulation. Dimethicone is a type of silicone often used in oil-free moisturizers for slip and hydration.
- Dimethicone is a type of silicone often used in oil-free moisturizers for slip and hydration.
- Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE)
- DMAE is useful in supplement and topical form for skin maintenance to keep muscle and skin firmness. DMAE supplements support muscle tone, including facial muscles. Topical DMAE firms and tightens the appearance of the skin. It has short term and long range effect.