Definition Guide for skin and hair care terms. Defining hair and skin ingredients with meaningful results. Updated regularly.
- Fango, Fango Treatment
- A detoxifying bath or mud pack spa treatment. Fango is a highly mineralized mud mixed with oil or water, and sometimes sea kelp and peat moss. It restores and softens the skin and stimulates circulation. Typically a body or facial skin treatment but can also be used as a scalp treatment.
- Ferulic Acid
- Ferulic Acid is an antioxidant that when paired with Vitamin C does more than the sum of their parts. Ferulic Acid helps reduce sun damage. A 2008 study in The Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology found Vitamin C with Ferulic Acid reverses existing sun damage and can actually prevent future UV sun damage. It stabilizes Vitamins C and E for optimal results.
- Fixed Oils
- Oils that are lipids or fats and won’t evaporate at room temperature. Useful as massage or as a carrier oil. Sweet almond is a fixed oil.
- Flax Seed Oil
- Flax Seed Oil is Linseed Oil. It is very high in Omega-3s. It promotes skin brightness, elasticity, firmness, and texture. In hair care, Flaxseed is a superfood for hair. It helps reduce hair loss and makes hair feel lush. Flax Seed Oil is taken as an oral supplement and at times is part of a skin cream or hair masque. Studies show 12 weeks of Flaxseed oil supplementation resulted in skin smoothness and hydration, and the reduction of skin sensitivity and roughness.
- Fo Ti
- Fo Ti is a Chinese herb known as an anti-oxidant that stops hair loss. It is included in some hair growth supplements.
- Frankincense Oil
- Frankincense Oil is an essential oil. Frankincense reduces inflammation and boosts immunity. Frankincense, Shea Butter and Coconut Oil treat older stretch marks and scars. Frankincense has an intense aroma. It can be balanced with a drop of Orange Oil.
- Fruit enzymes
- Fruit enzymes break down the keratin in dead skin cells, offering a mild form of exfoliation. Generally part of a wash or scrub, it is gentler than an AHA.
- Fruit Acid Wash
- A facial cleanser that uses fruit enzymes to lightly exfoliate without rubbing, scrubbing or drying skin. Gentle enough to be used every other day or even every day, it leaves skin smooth and flake-free.
- Fuller’s Earth
- Fuller’s Earth removes toxins from hair and scalp. It facilitates blood circulation, which helps hair growth. It is a conditioning cleanser making hair smooth and shiny.