Skin & Hair Glossary of ingredients & terms. Defining what skin & hair ingredients are and how to best use them. Updated regularly.
- Zamea Propanediol is a humectant with the ability to penetrate the skin for a smooth hydrated finish. A corn-based natural alternative to petroleum based glycols, it reduces water loss in the skin.
- Zea Mays
- Zea Mays is organic corn starch, a largely translucent natural powder used to give a silky feel or smooth texture to a creamy skin or cosmetic product. Seen in clean cosmetics.
- Both as a supplement and a topical ingredient, Zinc strengthens the skin. It promotes collagen and elastin production. Zinc combats the damaging effects of environmental pollutants and aggressors as well as heals scars. Zinc deficiencies are common and can lead to hair loss. Zinc helps balance hormones and battles fatigue. Zinc supplements are readily available. Bloodwork will confirm deficiencies in zinc or other common vitamins needed for healthy hair and skin.
- Zinc Oxide
- Zinc Oxide is an FDA approved sun shield agent used in mineral sunscreen to prevent UVA and UVB light from damaging the skin. Highly effective but often zinc oxide lends a white opacity to the skin. For the purest form with least irritation, look for formulations containing Non-nano uncoated zinc oxide (often from Canada).
- Zinc Pyrithione
- Zinc Pyrithione is used to treat psoriasis and eczema on the skin. It is also used in dandruff shampoos.
- Zingiber Officinale Oil
Better known as Ginger Root Oil. Ginger Root Oil reduces inflammation and is a potent antioxidant. Best used within a formulation, always diluted and never around the orbital area.
- Ziziphus Jujuba Fruit Extract
- This Chinese date is a species in the genus of Ziziphus in the buckthorn family. Also called “Jujube”. It is an an anti-oxidant that is skin soothing. 
Seen in some K-Beauty skincare brands and in the Tatcha skincare range.
- Food and Chemical Toxicology, February 2010, pages 639-643