Skin & Hair Glossary of ingredients & terms. Defining how to use hair & skin ingredients for best results. Updated regularly.
- Neem Seed Oil is particularly effective on healing sun damage and restoring moisture. It deeply penetrates the skin to enhance elasticity, smooth wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
On hair, Neem removes sebum, dandruff, dry skin flakes, and eczema that can all impair hair growth. It promotes hair growth by improving the scalp health, providing a soothing, protective barrier. It also makes hair soft. Neem has an odor, it is far less noticeable within a product than when used alone.
- Neutral Protein Filler
- Neutral Protein Filler is a concentrated wheat protein liquid added to hair dye mixes to compensate for porous hair or hair that has been recently color corrected. Commonly used in DIY hair coloring and manufactured dyes to obtain even saturation results. Neutral Protein Filler can also be used as a diluted protein treatment for severely damaged hair too compromised to re-color.
- Niacinamide is a Vitamin B3 derivative. A natural way to suppress excess melanin and fight age spots. It works well on the thin skin of the eye area. It is a very good addition to an anti-aging regimen because it addresses a loss of elasticity and reduces redness. It also fades acne scars and brightens the skin. Niacinamide is a collagen promoting skin brightener that addresses a loss of elasticity and reduces redness. An effective brightening and lightening tool all own its’ own, when paired with Vitamin K results in brighter and firmer skin. It decreases sebum production, fine lines and enlarged pores. It inhibits melanin production in hyperpigmentation.
- Nitric Oxide
- Nitric oxide is a new anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial that reduces sebum. (1) It reduces Propionibacterium acnes, a key bacteria of acne formation (2). Unlike chemical antibiotics, the body doesn’t build a Nitric Oxide resistance. It remains effective for long-term acne treatment. (3) Studies show Nitric Oxide is gentler than Retinol for treating acne. (4) Nitric Oxide works from the bottom of a pimple upwards. This treats even deep cystic acne without excess surface irritation. Read more about acne treatment applications with Nitric Oxide.
- Non-comedogenic is when an ingredient or product is unlikely to clog pores and create a whitehead or blackhead.
- Ghaffari, A.; Miller, C. C.; McMullin, B.; Ghahary, A. Potential application of gaseous nitric oxide as a topical antimicrobial agent. Nitric Oxide. Volume 14, Issue 1, 2006, Pages 21-29
- Qin, M.; et al. Nitric oxide releasing nanoparticles prevent Propionibacterium acnes-induced inflammation by both clearing the organism and inhibiting microbial stimulation of the innate immune Response, The Society for Investigative Dermatology
- Del Rosso, J; Kircik, L. Spotlight on the Use of Nitric Oxide in Dermatology, Journal of Drugs in Dermatology